Department of Human Services Victoria announced yesterday the state-wide implementation of the option to direct employ carers.
The Department has defined direct employment to be:
Where a person has an Individual Support Package that is administered through direct payments and they and/or their nominated person(s) will directly employ support worker(s) using some or all of their funding.
As a direct employer, direct payments users have the choice of who to employ as support workers and how they provide support.
This means that the direct payments user will be responsible for all of the legal, financial and human resource management obligations that come with being an employer.
- advertising, interviewing and selecting the right person to support you
- negotiating salary and hours of work directly with each support worker consistent with the relevant industrial award
- training workers so that they know how to safely provide support
- paying for insurance including public liability and personal accident insurance and WorkCover
- paying workers the correct amount, regularly and on time
- handling any concerns with performance/behaviour directly with workers.
I envisage that the Peer Support to Buy Support groups that are currently being created (as part of the work I do with VALID) will assist people in getting together and sharing experiences throughout Victoria.
Peer Support to Buy Support groups are currently being established in the following areas, I will keep you informed as they develop.
- Melbourne CBD
- Melbourne Southern